About the CELTA:
CELTA is a qualification for teaching English as a foreign language. It focuses on developing practical skills with face-to-face teaching practice, which will provide you with the techniques and confidence you need to begin teaching as soon as you finish the course.
About the course
- CELTA courses include at least 120 hours of contact time
- The topics cover practical teaching skills and the theory behind them
- All CELTA courses include real-life teaching experience
- You will be assessed on written assignments and your face-to-face teaching skills
CELTA is an internationally recognised initial qualification for people with little or no previous teaching experience who wish to teach English to foreign students. It opens up a whole world of exciting teaching opportunities and because it is awarded by Cambridge English, part of the world-famous University of Cambridge, you can rely on its quality and standing within the EFL (English as a Foreign Language) industry.
Who awards the CELTA?
The qualification is administered by Cambridge English, part of the University of Cambridge.
What is TEFL and TESOL?
'TEFL' stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language and 'TESOL' stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. They are terms used to describe the industry you will be entering when you successfully complete your CELTA course and start working as a Teacher of English as a Foreign Language.
Who can apply?
Who is CELTA for?
- New teachers starting their career
- First-language English speakers and non-first-language speakers
- Teachers with some experience who want to develop their skills
- Teachers who want to travel and teach English
Candidates who apply should:
- have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education - eg 2 or more A’levels ideally in English Language, a foreign language etc
- ideally be aged 20 or over - candidates who are under 20 may be eligible, but only at the discretion of ELH and only if they have a very strong educational background and the maturity to attend and complete the course successfully
- have a good standard of English which will enable them to teach at a range of levels - ie be an accurate native speaker or, if a foreign national, have a CPE grade A or equivalent
- for any face2face course which requires trainees to attend sessions at the school, candidates must be eligible to study in UK ie be an UK national or a EU national or have a visa eligible for study in the UK ; this does not apply if you intend to study on the fully online course.
How long is the course?
At English Language House we offer the following CELTA courses:
- FULL TIME CELTA COURSE completed in 4 weeks
- PART TIME CELTA COURSE completed in 10, 15 or 20 weeks
- BLENDED ONLINE CELTA COURSE completed in either 15 or 25 weeks
- FULLY ONLINE CELTA COURSE completed in either 5 or 10 or 15 weeks
Due to Covid, English Language House will be offering a 5 week, 10 week and 15 week fully online CELTA in 2020. The course will run completely online and TP will take place via Zoom. Candidates can apply from wherever they are and can attend the course from anywhere in the world.
What is the difference between the 4 types of delivery?
- The FULL TIME CELTA COURSE is a very intensive course where trainees need to attend for 8 hours each day on 5 days a week for 4 weeks.
- The PART TIME CELTA COURSE requires trainees to attend 2 or 3 times per week on set days and times. Part time courses may run for 10 weeks, 15 weeks or 20 weeks.
- The BLENDED ONLINE CELTA COURSE is delivered mostly online but will require trainees to attend on set days and times for face2face teaching practice. Trainees will mostly work autonomously via Moodle to complete a number of learning units during the course. In addition they will meet their tutors live online for between 3 - 5 hours during their course. Teaching Practice will take place at English Language House and will require trainees to travel to Elh to teach their lessons and observe others teach.
- The FULLY ONLINE CELTA COURSE is delivered completely online and will require trainees to access Moodle, Googledrive and Zoom. Teaching practice will take place via Zoom on 2 or 3 days per week. Trainees can follow a fully online course from anywhere in the world.
How to apply for the CELTA at ELH:
Contact us to let us know you would like information about the CELTA Course at English Language House.